Guy Micco, MD
Joint Medical Program
Division of Health & Medical Sciences
570 University Hall
◦ HMS 202 A - Clinical Skills
◦ HMS 200 B and C - Medical Curriculum
◦ HMS 210 - Readers' Theater
◦ HMS 211 - Narrative and Medicine
◦ HMS 215 - The Interdisciplinary Team: Improving the Care of Our Elders
◦ HMS 240 - The Death Course
◦ HMS 200 - Independent Study
◦ Aging/old age
◦ The interface of medicine and the humanities
◦ Medical ethics
◦ The doctor-patient relationship
Though I have interests in, and occasionally participate in, research projects, I am mainly a clinician-educator.
Geriatric community-based experiential learning project bringing students into contact with elders in retirement communities to better understand aging in our time and culture. I am also a part-time hospice/palliative care physician.
Micco, Guy, Villars, Pilar, and Smith, Alex. The Death of Ivan Ilyich and pain relief at the end of life, The Lancet. 2009. 34:872-3.
Zier LS, Burack JH, Micco G, Chipman AK, Frank JA, White DB. Surrogate decision makers' responses to physicians' predictions of medical futility. Chest 2009. 136(1):110-7.
Micco, Guy. Listening to the Story of Medicine. Review of Narrative Medicine: Honoring the Stories of Illness by Rita Charon. The Lancet 2007. 370:1203-1204