Publications by Hubert Dreyfus
- (with James Broderick) "Curds and Lions in Don Quixote", Modern
Languages Quarterly (June 1957).
- (with Samuel J. Todes) "The Three Worlds of Merleau-Ponty", Philosophy
and Phenomenological Research (June 1962).
- (with Joseph Pequigney) "The Landscape of Dante's Inferno", Italian
Quaterly (Spring 1962).
- (with Joseph Pequigney) "Landscape and Guide: Dante's Modifying of
Meaning in the Inferno", M.I.T. Publication in the Humanities, Number
- "Merleau-Ponty's Existential Phenomenology", M.I.T. Publication in
the Humanities, Number 69.
- "Philosophie aux Etats-Unis", Encyclop│die compar│e U.S.A. - U.R.S.S.,
Laffont, Paris (November 1967).
- "Alchemy and Artificial Intelligence", RAND Paper P-3244 (December
1965). (Japanese translation, September 1967.)
- "Phenomenology and Artificial Intelligence", Phenomenology in America
, James Edie (ed.), Quadrangle Press (1967). Reprinted as "Do Computers
Think?", in Reading for Liberal Education, Holt, Rinehart and
- "Why Computers Must Have Bodies in Order to be Intelligent", Review
of Metaphysics (September 1967). Reprinted in La Mente e le
Macchine , M. Bianca, editor, La Scuola Editrice, (1978).
- "Philosophical Issues in Artificial Intelligence", M.I.T. Publication
in the Humanities, Number 80.
- "Pseudo-Strides Towards Artificial Intelligence", Theoria to Theory
, Volume 2, Second Quarter (January 1968).
- "Cybernetics as the Last Stage of Metaphysics", Akten des XIV
Internationalen Kongresses f┘r Philosophie , Vienna (1968).
- "The Perceptual Noema; The Suppressed Originality of Aron Gurwitsch",
Life-World and Consciousness , ed. Embree, Northwestern University
Press (1970). Reprinted in Husserl, Intentionality and Cognitive
Science -(see below).
- (with Samuel J. Todes) "The Existentialist Critique of Objectivity",
Patterns of the Life-World , ed. Edie, Northwestern University
- "Phenomenology and Mechanism", Nous (March 1971).
- "A Critique of Artificial Reason", Thought (1968). Reprinted
in Human and Artificial Intelligence, ed. Crosson, Appleton
- Century Crofts, (1971); in Interpretations of Life and Mind,
ed. Marjorie Grene, Routledge, Kegan, Paul, (1971); and in Dialogos
- "Sinn and Intentional Object", Existential Phenomenology,
ed. Robert Solomon, Harper and Row (1973).
- (with John Haugeland) "The Computer as a Mistaken Model of the Mind",
Philosophy and Psychology, ed. S.C. Brown, Macmillan (1974).
Translated in Portuguese (1984).
- "Artificial Intelligence", The Annals of the American Academy
of Political and Social Science (March 1974).
- "Human Temporality", The Study of Time II, J.T. Fraser and
N. Lawrence, editors, Springer - Verlag (1975).
- "The Priority of The World to My World: Heidegger's Answer to Husserl
(and Sartre)", Man and World (May 1975).
- "The Misleading Mediation of the Mental", Philosophical Dimensions
of the Neuro-Medical Sciences, S.F. Spicker and H.T. Englehardt,
editors, Reidel (1976).
- (with John Haugeland) "A Husserl - Heidegger Dialogue: Philosophy's
Last Stand", Heidegger and Modern Philosophy, edited by Michael
Murray, Yale University Press (1977).
- "Things Computers Still Can't Do (Part I)," ROM, Vol. I, No.
9, (March/April 1978).
- "What Computers Still Can't Do (Part II)," Creative Computing
, Vol. 6, No. 1, (January 1980).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "Inadequacies in the Decision Analysis Model
of Rationality", Foundations and Applications of Decision Theory
, ed. C. Hooker, Reidel (1978).
- "Empirical Evidence for a Pessimistic Prognosis for Cognitive Science",
Behavioral and Brain Sciences , Vol. 1, Number 1 (1978).
- "Cognitive Psychology vs. Hermeneutics", Behavioral and Brain
Sciences , Vol. 1, Number 2 (1978).
- "Incompatible Constraints on the Input/Outputs of a Human Intentional
Black Box," Behavioral and Brain Sciences , Vol., Number 2 (1978).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "The Scope, Limits, and Training Implications
of Three Models of Aircraft Pilot Emergency Response Behavior",
Operations Research Center Report (February 1979).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "The Psychic Boom: Flying Beyond the Thought
Barrier", Operations Research Center Report (March 1979). Reprinted
in Creative Computing (1981).
- "A Framework for Misrepresenting Knowledge", Philosophical Perspectives
in Artificial Intelligence , ed. M. Ringle, Humanities Press (1979).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "A Five - Stage Model of the Mental Activities
involved in Directed Skill Acquisition", Operations Research Center
Report (February 1980).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "Proficient Adaptable Response to Emergencies
Caused by Identifiable Malfunctions: Contrasting Training Implications
of Two Proposed Models", Operations Research Center Report
- "Existentialism," "Phenomenology," "Martin Heidegger," "Edmund Husserl,"
"Karl Jaspers," "Soren Kierkegaard," "Gabriel Marcel," "Maurice Merleau-Ponty,"
"Franz Rosenzweig," "Max Scheler," in Funk and Wagnalls' New Encyclopedia,
- "Les Ordinateurs peuvent-ils ░tre vraiment intelligents?", Critique
, Les Philosophes Anglo-saxons par eux-m░mes, (Aout-Septembre
- "Holism and Hermeneutics", The Review of Metaphysics (September
1980). Reprinted in Hermeneutics and Praxis , ed. Robert Hollinger,
University of Notre Dame Press, (1985).
- "Dasein's Revenge: Methodological Solipsism as Unsuccessful Escape
Strategy in Psychology," Behavioral and Brain Sciences , Vol.
- "Knowledge and Human Values: A Genealogy of Nihilism", Teachers
College Record (Spring 1981).
- "From Micro-Worlds to Knowledge Representation: AI at an Impasse",
Mind Design, edited by John Haugeland, Bradford Books (1981).
Reprinted in Readings In Knowledge Representation, Ed. Ronald
J. Brachman and Hector J. Levesque, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, (1985).
- (with Piotr Hoffman) "Sartre's Changed Conception of Consciousness:
From Lucidity to Opacity", Library of Living Philosophers on Sartre
, ed. P.A. Schilpp, Open Court Publishing Co. (1982).
- Response to John Searle's "Meaning", Colloquy 44, The Center for Hermeneutical
Studies in Hellenistic and Modern Culture, The Graduate Theological
Union and The University of California, Berkeley (October, 1982).
- "How We Behave", Michel Foucault Interview, Vanity Fair (November
- "Between Techn│ and Technology: The Ambiguous Place of Equipment in
Being and Time", Tulane Studies in Philosophy , Tulane University,
Volume XXXII, (1984).
- French translation, "De la techn│ ÷ la technique" in Martin Heidegger
, ed. Michel Haar, Cahier de L'Herne, Number 45, Editions de L'Herne,
Paris, France (1983). Reprinted in Livre de Poche. Reprinted in
Heidegger: A Critical Reader , H. L. Dreyfus and H. Hall, edts.,
Basil Blackwell, (1992).
- "Beyond Hermeneutics: Interpretation in Later Heidegger and Recent
Foucault", Hermeneutics: Questions and Prospects , edited by
Gary Shapiro, University of Massachusetts Press (1984).
Interpreting Politics, Michael T. Gibbons, ed., Basil Blackwell,
- "What Expert Systems Can't Do", Raritan (Spring 1984).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Putting Computers in Their Proper Place: Analysis
versus Intuition in the Classroom", Columbia Teachers College Record,
Vol. 85, No. 4 (Summer 1984). Reprinted in Run: ComputerEducation,
2nd. Ed. by Harper and Stewart, (1985), and in The Computer in Education,
A Critical Perspective, Douglas Sloan ed., published by Teachers
College Press, (1985). Reprinted as "L'ordinateur ÷ sa place: Analyse
ou intuition dans la salle de classe," in Le Temps de la R│flexion,
ed. by Marc Froment-Meurice, Gallimard, (October 1985).
- Il n'y a pas d'ordinateur intelligent," Psychologies, No.
13, (Juillet-Aout 1984), Paris, France.
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Mindless Machines: Computers Don't Think Like
Experts, and Never Will," The Sciences, The New York Academy
of Sciences (November/December 1984).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Skilled Behavior: The Limits of Intentional
Analysis," Phenomenological Essays in Memory of Aron Gurwitsch,
ed. Lester Embree, The University Press of America, Washington, D.C.
- "The Role of the Body in Intelligent Behavior," (Chapter 7 of
What Computers Can't Do) reprinted in Philosophy, Technology
and Human Affairs, ed. Larry Hickman, Ibis Press (May 1985).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "From Socrates to Expert Systems: The Limits
of Calculative Rationality" Philosophy and Technology II: Information
Technology and Computers in Theory and Practice, edited by Carl
Mitcham and Alois Huning, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science
Series, Reidel,(1985). Reprinted: Technology In Society,
Vol. 6, (1984), and in Oblong, Department of Architecture, University
of California, Berkeley, (Summer 1986). Rewritten and presented to the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Bulletin, Vol. XL, Number
4, (January 1987). Revised and reprinted in Interpretive Social
Science, A Second Look, Paul Rabinow and William M. Sullivan, editors,
University of California Press, (1987). Reprinted in Arpakannus,
Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society, Vol 3, (1991). Revised and
reprinted as "La port│e philosophique du connexionism," Introduction
aux sciences cognitives, under the direction of Daniel Andler, Collection
Folio/Essais, Editions Gallimard, (1992). Reprinted as"De Socrates a
los sistemas expertos: Los limites y peligros de la racionalidad calculatoris,"
Estudios Publicos, No. 46, (Fall 1992), Centro de Estudios Publicos,
- "Why Expert Systems Can't Be Medical and Ehtical Experts," Cancer
and Leukemia Group B Newsletter, Vol. 3, No. 4,(Winter 1994).
- "Merleau-Ponty's Conception of Psychopathology," German translation
in Leibhaftige Vernunft , eds. Alexandre M│traux and Bernhard
Waldenfels, Fink Verlag, (1986).
- "Why Studies of Human Capacities Modeled on Ideal Science Can Never
Achieve Their Goal", Rationality, Relativism and The Human Sciences,
ed. J. Margolis, M. Krauz and R.M. Burian, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers,
- (with Paul Rabinow), "What is Maturity? Habermas and Foucault on `What
is Enlightenment?'", Foucault: A Critical Reader, ed. David Hoy,
Basil Blackwell, (1986). Reprinted in Critique, (Aout-Septembre,
l986). Finnish translation in tiede & edistys, (2/l986).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Why Computers May Never Think Like People"
Technology Review, Vol. 89 No. 1., (January 1986). Reprinted
in Current, Number 283, (June 1986). Reprinted in Computers
in the Human Context: Information Technology, Productivity and People,
Tom Forester ed., MIT Press and Basil Blackwell, (Spring 89).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "How to Stop Worrying about the Frame Problem
even though It's Computationally Insoluable," The Robot's Dilemma:
The Frame Problem in Artificial Intelligence, ed. Z. Pylyshyn, Ablex
Publishing Corp., (1987). Revised and reprinted as "Coping with Change:
Why People Can and Computers Can't," Wo steht die Analytische Philosophie
heute? Wiener Reihe, Band 1, (Spring 1986). Reprinted in LOGOS:
Philosophic Issues in Christian Perspective, Vol. 7, (1986), Santa
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "Putting Computers in Their Place," Social
Research, Volume 53, Number 1, (Spring 1986).
- "Menschliche Sprache versus Computer Code," Technik und Gesellschaft,
Memoranden des Forschungsinstitut f┘r Technik und Gesellschaft der Technischen
Universit╣t Wien, Austria, (Fall 1986).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Why Skills Cannot Be Represented by Rules,"
Advances in Cognitive Science, ed. N.E. Sharkey, Elis Horwood
Limited, (1986). Published as "Why Expert Systems Don't Exhibit Expertise,"
in IEEE-EXPERT, Volume 1, Number 2, (Summer 1986). Reprinted
as "The Mistaken Psychological Assumptions Underlying the Belief in
Expert Systems," in Cognitive Psychology in Question, ed. Alan
Costall and Arthur Still, Harvester Press, (1987).
- "Foucault's Therapy," PsyCritique, (Fall 1986). Reprinted
in Wiener Reihe: Die Philosophen und Freud, Band 3, as "Foucault
versus Freud" (1989).
- "Foucault's Critique of Psychiatric Medicine" in The Journal of
Medicine and Philosophy, Center for Ethics, Medicine, and Public
Issues, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, (1987).
- "Foucault et la psychoth│rapie," Revue Internationale de Philosophie,
Presses Universitaires de France, No. 173, (Feb 1990).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Competent Systems: The Only Future For Inference-Making
Computers," Future Generations Computer Systems, North-Holland,
Vol. 2, Number 4, (December 1986).
- "Misrepresenting Human Intelligence," The Tradition of Philosophy,
ed. Harrison Hall and Norman Bowie, Wadsworth, (Fall l986). Reprinted
in Thought, A Review of Culture and Idea, Fordham University
Quaterly, (December 1986). Rerpinted in Artificial Intelligence:
The Case Against, Rainer Born, ed., Croom Helm, (Winter 1987).
- (with Jane Rubin) "You Can't Get Something for Nothing: Kierkegaard
and Heidegger on How Not to Overcome Nihilism," Inquiry, Vol.
30, Nos. 1-2 (March 1987).
- "Husserl, Heidegger and Modern Existentialism," The Great Philosophers,
An Introduction to Western Philosophy, edited by Bryan Magee, BBC
Books, (Fall 1987). Portuguese translation: "Husserl, Heidegger e o
Existencialismo Moderno," Os Grandes FilĐsofos, Editorial Presenca,
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Making a Mind vs. Modeling the Brain: AI Back
at a Branchpoint," Daedalus, (Winter 1988). Reprinted in:
The Artificial Intelligence Debate, M.I.T. Press, Stephen Graubard,
ed., (Summer 1988).
- Alternative Intelligence: Artificial Intelligence at a Crossroad,
ed. Massimo Negrotti, Springer-Verlag, London, (February 1989).
Capire l'Artificiale: Dall'Analogia all'Integrazione Uomo-Macchina,
ed. Massiomo Negrotti, Bollati Boringhieri, Torino (1990 & 1993).
The Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, edited by Margaret A.
Boden, Oxford University Press, (1990). Informatik Forum, No.
2, (Jun 1990). Informatica, An International Journal of Computing
and Informatics, Vol 19, N.4, (November 1995). Perspektiven
und Grenzen der Artificial Intelligence, "Den Geist konstruieren
vs das Gehirn modellieren - die KI geht zu einem Scheideweg zur┘ck,"
- "Husserl's Epiphenomenology," Perspectives on Mind, Herbert
R. Otto and James A. Tuedio, eds., D. Reidel, (1988). Reprinted in:
Agora, Journal for Metafysisk Speulasjon, No. 3-4, Oslo, (1990);
- "Husserl et les sciences cognitives," Les Etudes Philosophiques,
Presses Universitaires de France (Jan-Fev 1991).
- "Artificial Intelligence: The Problem of Knowledge Representation,"
VIA 9, Re-Presentation, Journal of the Graduate School of Fine
Arts, University of Pennsylvania, (Spring 1988). French translation,
La Documentation Franşaise, Probl▓mes politiques et sociaux,
No. 657, (Mar 1991).
- "The Socratic and Platonic Basis of Cognitivism," Artificial Intelligence
& Society, Forli Issue, Volume 2 Number 2, K.S. Gill, ed., Springer-Verlag
London, (April-June 1988). Reprinted: "Si pu¸ accusare Socrate di cognitivismo?,"
Nuova Civilt÷ delle Macchine, Rivista trimestrale di analisi
e critica, Nueva Eri, Anno VI, Nu. 1/1 (21/22), (June/July 1988);
- "Socratic and Platonic Sources of Cognitivism," Historical Foundations
of Cognitive Science, pp. 1-17, J-C. Smith, ed., Kluwer, (1990).
- "Is Socrates to Blame for Cognitivism?" in Artificial Intelligence,
Culture and Language: On Education and Work, Bo G¨ranzon and Magnus
Florin, eds., Springer-Verlag, (1990).
- (with Jerome Wakefield), "From Depth Psychology to Breadth Psychology:
A Phenomenological Approach to Psychopathology," Hermeneutics and
Psychological Theory: Interpretive Perspectives on Personality, Psychotherapy,
and Psychopathology, Stanley B. Messer, Louis A. Sass, & Robert
L. Woolfolk, eds., Rutgers University Press, (1988).
- (with Stuart and Renee Dreyfus), "Skillfully Coping with the World:
Man vs. Machine," Museum Studies Journal, (1988).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "On the Proper Treatment of Smolensky,"
Behavioral and Brain Sciences, (1988).
- "Artificial Intelligence: The Problem of Knowledge Representation,"
Encyclop│die Philosophique, ed. Andr│ Jacob, Presses Universitaires
de France, (1989).
- "Alternative Philosophical Conceptualizations of Psychopathology,"
Phenomenology and Beyond: The Self and its Language, edited
by Harold A. Durfee and David F.T. Rodier, edts., Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Dordrecht, (1989). German translation in Uberg╣nge, Vol. 15,
- "On the Ordering of Things: Being and Power in Heidegger and Foucault,"
Michel Foucault, Philosophe, Le Seuil, Paris, (1989). Reprinted:
Heidegger and Praxis, Spindel Conference 1989, The Southern Journal
of Philosophy, Vol. XXVIII Supplement, (1990); Michel Foucault,
Philosopher, Routledge, Chapman and Hall, (1992). "Being and Power:
Heidegger and Foucault," International Journal of Philosophical
Studies, Vol. 4 (1996).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Towards a Reconciliation of Phenomenology
and A.I.," The Foundations of Artificial Intelligence: A Sourcebook,
Derek Partridge and Yorick Wilks, eds., Cambridge University Press,
- "Information is not Enough: The Uses and Limits of Computer Systems,"
Informatik Forum, (September 1990).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "What is Morality? A Phenomenological Account
of the Development of Ethical Expertise," Universalism vs. Communitarianism
, ed. David Rasmussen, The MIT Press, (1990). Revised and reprinted:
Revisioning Philosophy, James Ogilvy, edt., State University
of New York Press, (1992).
- "Was ist moralische Reife?", Deutsche Zeitschrift f┘r Philosophie
, vol 3 (1993).
- (with Jerome Wakefield), "Action and the First Person," John Searle
and his Critics , E. Lepore and R. Van Gulick, eds., Basil Blackwell,
- "Defending the Difference: The Geistes/Naturwissenschaften Distinction
Revisited," Einheit der Wissenschaften: Internationales Kolloquium
der Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin, Walter de Gruyter, (1991).
Reprinted in The Harvard Review of Philosophy, (1991).
- "Heidegger's Hermeneutic Realism," The Interpretive Turn: Philosophy,
Science, Culture, Hiley, Bowan, Schusterman, edts., Cornell University
"Heidegger on the Connection between Nihilism, Technology, Art and Politics"
Cambridge Companion to Heidegger, ed. Charles Guignon, Cambridge
University Press, (1992).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "What Artificial Experts Can and Cannot Do,"
AI & Society, Springer-Verlag, Vol. 6, No. 1, (1992).
- "Reflections on the Workshop on The Self," Anthropology & Humanism
Quaterly, the American Anthropological Association, (1993).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus), "Frictionless Forecasting is a Fiction",
The Necessity of Friction, Nordal Akerman, Ed., Physica-Verlag,
(1993). American edition, (New York: Westview Press, 1998).
- "Heidegger's Critique of the Husserl/Searle Account of Intentionality,"
Social Research Vol. 60, No. 1, (Spring 1993).
- (with Paul Rabinow), "Can There Be A Science of Existential Structure
and Social Meaning?," Bourdieu: Critical Perspectives, Craig
Calhoun, Edward LiPuma and Moishe Postone Edts., Polity Press (1993).
French translation, Critique, ed. Christiane Chauvre, (Aout/Septembre,
- (with Jane Rubin), "Kierkegaard on the Nihilism of the Present Age:
The Case of Commitment as Addiction" Synthese, Kluwer (1994).
- Preface, Interpretive Phenomenology: Embodiment, Caring and Ethics
in Health and Illness, Patricia Benner, edt., Sage Publications
- "What Computers Still Can't Do," The Key Reporter, Vol. 59,
No. 2, Winter (1993/94).
- "Foucault," "Heidegger", Encarta Encyclopedia, Microsoft Inc.,
- "Simple Simon's Solutions", Bridging the Gap, Stanford
Humanities Reviews, supplement to Vol. 4, Issue 1, (1994).
- "Die Gefahren der Moderne Technologie: Heidegger und Foucault,"
Pathologien des Sozialen, Axel Honneth, edt., Fischer Tachenbuch
Verlag, Frankfurt an Main, Germany, (October 1994).
- (with Charles Spinosa and Fernando Flores) "Disclosing New Worlds:
Entrepreneurship, Democractic Action, and the Cultivation of Solidarity,"
Inquiry, (Vol. 38, Nos. 1-2, June 1995).
- (with Charles Spinosa and Fernando Flores) "Skills, Historical Disclosing,
and the End of History: A Response to Our Critics", Inquiry,
(Vol. 38, Nos. 1-2, June 1995).
- "Heidegger on Gaining a Free Relation to Technology," Technology
and the Politics of Knowledge, edts. Andrew Feenberg and Alastair
Hannay, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, (1995).
- "Cognitivism Abandoned," Speaking Minds: Interviews with Twenty
Eminent Cognitive Scientists, Peter Baumgartner and Sabine Payr
Edts., Princeton University Press, (1995).
- "Interpreting Heidegger on Das Man", Inquiry, Vol. 38, No.
4, (December 1995).
- "The Current Relevance of Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology of Embodiment",
Filozofska Istrazivanja, Vol. 15, No. 3, (1995). Reprinted:
The Electronic Journal of Analytic Philosophy, Issue 4, (Spring
1996). Embodiment, Gail Wiess, edt., Routledge and Kegan Paul
- (with Stuart Dreyfus) "The Relationship of Theory and Practice in
the Acquisition of Skill," Expertise in Nursing Practice: Caring,
Clinical Judgment, and Ethics, Patricia A. Benner, Christine A.
Tanner, Catherine A. Chesla, edts., Springer Publishing Company, (1996).
- (with Stuart Dreyfus and Patricia Benner) "Implications of the Phenomenology
of Expertise for Teaching and Learning Everyday Skillful Ethical Comportment,"
Expertise in Nursing Practice: Caring, Clinical Judgment, and Ethics,
Patricia A. Benner, Christine A. Tanner, Catherine A. Chesla, edts.,
Springer Publishing Company, (1996).
- "Response to my Critics", ArtificiaI Intelligence, issue on
H. L. Dreyfus, Vol. 8, No. 1, (1996). Reprinted in The Digital Phoenix:
How Computers are Changing Philosophy, T.W. Bynum and J.H. Moor,
edts., (Oxford: Blackwell, 1998).
- (with Charles Spinosa) "A Heideggerian Critique of Habermas's and
Rorty's Critique of Modernity," Cerisy-la-salle, July 1993 Colloquium.
Accepted for publication by Deutsche Zeitschrift f┘r Philosophie.
- (with Charles Spinosa) "Two Kinds of Antiessentialism and Their Consequences,"
Critical Inquiry, 22, (Summer 1996).
- "Intuitive, Deliberative, and Calculative Models of Expert Performance,"
Naturalistic Decision Making , ed. Caroline E. Zsambo & Gary
Klein, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, (1997).
- (with Charles Spinosa), "Highway bridges and feasts: Heidegger ans
Borgmann on how to affirm technology," Man and World, Vol. 30
- "Coping with Things in Themselves: A Phenomenology-Based Defense of
Robust Realism," T. Schatzki, edt. (in press).
1. The Meaning of Heidegger, Thomas Langan, Philosophical
Review (July 1961).
2. "Wild on Heidegger", Journal of Philosophy (October 1963).
3. Search for a Method, Jean-Paul Sartre, Philosophical Review
4. Principles and Persons, Frederick Olafson Philosophical
Review (July 1970).
5. Husserl: Expositions and Appraisals, Frederick A. Elliston and Peter
McCormick's Nous (1979).
6. "The Dasein as a Whole", Martin Heidegger, The Basic Problems of
Phenomenology, Times Literary Supplement (September 17,1982).
7. "Wittgenstein on Renouncing Theory in Psychology", Ludwig Wittgenstein,
Remarks on the Philosophy of Psychology,Vols. 1 and 2, Contemporary
Psychology ,Vol. 27, Number 12 (1982).
8. "What Can We Learn from Husserl?," David Bell, Husserl, Times Literary
Supplement , (Spring 1991).
9. Heidegger and the Philosophy of Mind, Frederick Olafson,
The Philosophical Review , Vol C, No. 3 (July 1991).
10. The Embodied Mind, Cognitive Science and Human Experience,
Francisco J. Varela et al, Mind , Vol. 102, No. 407, (July 1993).
1. (with Patricia Allen Dreyfus) Translation with Introduction of Merleau-Ponty's
Sense and Nonsense, Northwestern University Press (1964).
2. What Computers Can't Do: A Critique of Artificial Reason, Harper
and Row (February 1972).
Published in Russian, Portuguese, Yugoslavian, Japanese and Spanish. Second
edition, with new preface (1979).
Revised second edition in French (Flammarion, 1984), German (Athen╣um
Verlag, 1985), Chinese (1987), Italian (Armando, 1989).
Excerpted as "Die Grenzen der K┘ntstlichen Intelligenz," in gdimpuls,
Gottlieb Duttweiler Instituts fur Entscheidungstrager in Wirtschaft und
Gesellschaft, No. 2, (June 1985), Ruschlikon, Switzerland.
Third edition with new preface, entitled: What Computers Still Can't
Do, MIT Press, (1992).
New Introduction published as "Was Computer noch immer nich k¨nnen," Deutsche
Zeitschrift f┘r Philosophie, No. 4 (1993).
Greek language edition (forthcoming).
3. (with Paul Rabinow) Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics,
University of Chicago Press (1982).
Second edition (1983); French translation: Michel Foucault, Un Parcours
Philosophique, Editions Gallimard, Paris, France (1984).
German translation: Jenseits von Strukturalismus und Hermeneutik,
Athen╣um Verlag, (1987).
Spanish translation: Michel Foucault: m÷s all÷ del estructuralismo
y la hermen│utica, Universidad Nacional Aut¸noma de M│xico, Instituto
de Investigaciones Sociales, (1988).
Portuguese translation: Michel Foucault: Uma Trajet¸ria Filos¸fica
- Para al│m do estruturalismo e da hermen░utica, Forense Universit÷ria,
Japanese translation: 1988;
Chinese translations: 1992 & 1994. Danish and Persian translations (forthcoming).
4. (with Stuart Dreyfus) Mind over Machine: The Power of Human Intuitive
Expertise in the Era of the Computer, Free Press (1986).
German translation, Rowohlt Verlag, (1987).
Japanese translation, ASCII Inc., (1987).
Revised paperback edition with new Preface, (1988).
Reedition of Michel Foucault's Mental Illness and Psychology with
a 40-page Foreword, University of California Press, (1987).
5. Being-in-the-World: A Commentary on Heidegger's Being and Time,
Division I, M.I.T. Press (1991).
Spanish translation by Editorial Cuatro Vientos (1996).
6. (with Charles Spinosa and Fernando Flores) Disclosing New Worlds:
Entrepreneurship, Democractic Action, and the Cultivation of Solidarity,
MIT Press, (1997).