Professor of Economics, Department of Economics
697D Evans Hall, #3880
S.K. and Angela Chan Professor of Global Management,
Haas School of Business
Director, Clausen Center for International Business and Policy
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720-3880, USA
Voice : (510) 643 3783
Fax : (630) 604 1435
Email : email@example.com
Office Hours : Wednesday 1-00:30pm. Starting 2/22/27 schedule here
(until 2/15/17, here).
Background and Research Interests
Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas grew up in Montpellier, France. He attended Ecole Polytechnique then received his PhD in Economics in 1996 from MIT. He taught at Stanford Graduate School of Business and Princeton University before joining UC Berkeley department of economics.
Professor Gourinchas' main research interests are in international macroeconomics and finance. His recent research focuses on the importance of the valuation channel for the dynamics of external adjustment and the determination of exchange rates (with Hélène Rey); on the determinants of capital flows to and from developing countries (with Olivier Jeanne); on international portfolios (with Nicolas Coeurdacier); on global imbalances and currency wars (with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi), on international price discrimination (with Gita Gopinath, Chang-Tai Hsieh and Nick Li) and on the global financial crisis (with Maury Obstfeld). He is the laureate of the 2007 Bernàcer Prize for best European economist working in macroeconomics and finance
under the age of 40, and of the 2008 Prix du Meilleur Jeune Economiste for best French economist under the age of 40. In 2012-2013, Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas was a member of the French Council of Economic Advisors to the Prime Minister.
- Editor of the IMF Economic Review, the IMF's new flagship research publication. Check out the latest issue.
- Dominant Currency Pricing, with Camila Casas, Federico Diez and Gita Gopinath, December 2016.
- Real Interest Rates, Imbalances and the Curse of Regional Safe Asset Providers at the Zero Lower Bound, with Hélène Rey, November 2016. Prepared for the 2016 ECB Forum on Central Banking.
- The Structure of the International Monetary System, , NBER Reporter, 2016(1).
- The Analytics of the Greek Crisis, with Thomas Philippon and Dimitri Vayanos, June 2016. Prepared for the 2016 NBER Macroeconomics Annual.
- Safe Asset Scarcity and Aggregate Demand, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, January 2016. AER P&P.
- Global Imbalances and Currency Wars at the ZLB, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, March 2016.
- When Bonds Matter: Home Bias in Goods and Assets, Sept. 2016, with Nicolas Coeurdacier. Journal of Monetary Economics