Professor of Economics, Department of Economics
697D Evans Hall, #3880
S.K. and Angela Chan Professor of Global Management,
Haas School of Business
Director, Clausen Center for International Business and Policy
Co-Director, NBER International Finance and Macroeconomics program
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720-3880, USA
Voice : (510) 643 3783
Email : email@example.com
Office Hours : Wednesday 1:00--3:00pm. Schedule here
Background and Research Interests
Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas grew up in Montpellier, France. He attended Ecole Polytechnique then received his PhD in Economics in 1996 from MIT. He taught at Stanford Graduate School of Business and Princeton University before joining UC Berkeley department of economics.
Professor Gourinchas' main research interests are in international macroeconomics and finance. His recent research focuses on the scarcity of global safe assets, global imbalances and currency wars (with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi); on the International Monetary System and the role of the U.S. dollar (with Hélène Rey); on the Dominant Currency Paradigm (with Gita Gopinath); on the determinants of capital flows to and from developing countries (with Olivier Jeanne); on international portfolios (with Nicolas Coeurdacier); and on the global financial crisis (with Maury Obstfeld). Professor Gourinchas is the laureate of the 2007 Bernàcer Prize for best European economist working in macroeconomics and finance
under the age of 40, and of the 2008 Prix du Meilleur Jeune Economiste for best French economist under the age of 40. In 2012-2013, Professor Gourinchas was a member of the French Council of Economic Advisors to the Prime Minister. From 2009 to 2016 he was the editor-in-chief of the IMF Economic Review. He is currently managing editor of the Journal of International Economics and co-director of the NBER's International Finance and Macroeconomics Program.
- Managing Editor of the Journal of International Economics.
- NBER International Finance and Macroeconomics Program co-director.
- Dominant Currency Paradigm, with Camila Casas, Federico Diez and Gita Gopinath, August 2017.
- The Safe Assets Shortage Conundrum, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, Journal of Economic Perspective, Summer 2017.
- Monetary Policy Transmission in Emerging Markets: An Application to Chile, forth. Series on Central Banking, Analysis and Economic Policy, vol XX, Banco Central de Chile, 2017.
- Brexit: Whither the Pound?, with Galina Hale, San Francisco Federal Reserve Economic Letter, April 17, 2017.
- The Fundamental Structure of the International Monetary System, in Rules for International Monetary Stability Bordo and Taylor, eds, Hoover Institution Press, 2017.
- Rents, Technical Change and Risk Premia, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, May 2017, AER P&P.
- Real Interest Rates, Imbalances and the Curse of Regional Safe Asset Providers at the Zero Lower Bound, with Hélène Rey, November 2016. Prepared for the 2016 ECB Forum on Central Banking.
- The Analytics of the Greek Crisis, with Thomas Philippon and Dimitri Vayanos, June 2016. Prepared for the 2016 NBER Macroeconomics Annual.
- Safe Asset Scarcity and Aggregate Demand, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, May 2016. AER P&P.
- Global Imbalances and Currency Wars at the ZLB, with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi, March 2016.